Many agree that travelling is an incredibly rewarding and enriching thing to do. Unfortunately, many believe that once children come into the picture, travelling becomes a thing of the past. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Most families that go on holiday say it’s one of the best experiences you can have with your kids! It is vital to plan the trip well ahead, here are some tips and great locations to help you make the most out of your holiday in Malta with your family, and make it an unforgettable experience!!
First things first…Slow Down
You might be tempted to pack your day full of activities to make the most out of the holiday. This may work when travelling solo, but when your little ones want to take a detour, plans quickly need to be changed. Make sure to plan ahead, so that you visit one area at a time to minimize time spent on the road, thankfully in Malta this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Using public transport, especially in Summer is not advisable. Buses are usually packed and make several stops along the way. To get an idea, travelling by bus from one side of the island to another will easily take an hour and a half to two hours; a cab will get you there in roughly forty five minutes.
Because distances in Malta are so short, you get the added benefit of flexibility. Get a list of activities you know are great for all the family and make sure the kids think they’re fun too (even though they might change their mind later!). If your accommodation is towards the St Julians and Sliema area, you’re never further than 20 minutes away from either side of the island. Here is a list of family friendly activities on the island;
Bird Park Malta ; One of Malta’s best kept secrets. With around 200 species of birds and other animals to look at, this is definitely a place worth exploring and taking your time in. The guides here are great and manage to strike a balance between entertaining the kids and educating the older crowd too.
- Price: Adults €8. Children (3-12 yrs) €5. Children under 3 Free
- Cab price (St Julians- Bird Park); EUR 24
- Price: Adults €10.50. Children €8.50
- Cab price (St Julians-Popeye Village); EUR 24
- Mediterraneo Marine Park: Price: Adults €15.90. Children (4-12 yrs) €9.90
- Splash and fun Prices: Full Day Adults €20. Children (3-12 yrs) & Senior Citizens (60 yrs+) €12. Half Day Adults €14. Children (3-12 yrs) & Senior Citizens (60 yrs+) €8
- Cab price (St Julians- Mediterraneo Marine Park); EUR 10
- Price (National Aquarium) : Adults €12.90. Children (5-12 yrs) €6.00. Senior Citizens (60 yrs+) €10.90
- Cab price (St Julians-National Aquarium); EUR 15